Phillip is in first grade. I just love him. He is so darn cute. A little chubby with a big round face. Phillip causes a lot of problems. I keep my eye on Phillip every day.
How does Phillip know when I'm checking on everyone in the rear view mirror? Each time I look back, he is looking at me, poised in the midst of doing something. Many of my 1st nine days as a driver, Phillip sat up front.
My choice, not his.
One day, after dropping off the K-1 kids, I proceeded to the next school to drop off the 2nd-4th's. As the kids file past me, I'm repeatedly informed, "Bus Driver!, Adin is crying!" or "Bus Driver, Adin missed his stop." The bus empties of the final 50 children except one.
The top of a red hoodie is barely visible over the top of a seat in the back.
I could not leave my seat and other buses were lined up behind me waiting to go. "Sweetheart, come up front," I called serveral times until the red hoodie finally moved, slowly walking up the aisle. The red hoodie was on a little, dark, crying, kindergartener.
"You just sit down right here and we'll go right back to Gockley. Don't worry, it's ok. Really. No one will be mad at you."
"What's your name?" "What?" "Tell me again."
Sobbing and heaving, "...hit..me". "Who hit you?"
"Phillip. Phillip hit me," sob, sob, sob.
Adin sobbed and hiccuped for the 5 minute ride back to his school. His little body was spent and prostrate on the floor when we arrived. One of the teachers on bus duty boarded my bus and utilized all their special teacher skills to get Adin into school!
Phillip is permanently in the front seat!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
bad boy...maybe try some handcuffs as well... ;)
Ha! It's survival of the fittest way in the back seats!
One of my most traumatic moments was my first day of first grade and I forgot to get off the bus! And my older siblings didn't even notice. I ended up telling the bus driver who let me off about three blocks away from my house. I ran home, walked up the stairs and then fainted. I remember coming to and just really having to go to the bathroom. I think it was a combination of heat exhaustion, being at school all day instead of half, and being scared about being left on the bus!
I love your stories!
Post a Comment