Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bus Driver! Bus Driver!

The Newbie Speaks
I've been driving a school bus for four days and...I like it. Two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, sitting up high and trying not to take out street signs when I take left turns. The highlight of each of those shifts is my elementary school run.
I'm Telling!
My last run on each shift is the K-4th graders. In the morning, I deliver them to two schools (on the same campus): the K-1st school and the 2nd - 4th school. First, I go to the K-1 school. We always have to wait about five minutes until the teachers come out before opening the bus doors. That's when the tattling, and my battle to keep a straight face, begins. There are several stories to tell, but I'll just tell a little for now.
Case Dismissed
Two adorable kindergaten girls approached me. One had her little hand on the side of her face. Try to imagine this:

Cutie#1: Bus Driver, she hit me with her backpack.
Cutie#2: By accident
Cutie#1: Yes, by accident.
Me, thinking: "then what are we tattling for"
Me, saying: "Well, are you okay?"
Cutie#1 & Cutie#2: Yes, it's okay.

This afternoon Phillip will sit in the front seat
Phillip is in 2nd grade. He has a crew cute and a little round face. When I check on the kids in the rear view mirror, I notice that Phillip notices this and looks right at me. It's as though I'm always catching him about to do something naughty. He is naughty.

More on Phillip tomorrow and the crying kindergartener who forgot to get off the bus.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

what happened tomorrow?!