Monday, May 4, 2009

Blood and Children

Blood stains clothes! Blood is dangerous! Blood scares and panics primary children and to hear: "Jared's bleeding!!, Bussss DrIIver! Jared's bleeding!",can scare the driver.

Fortunately, Jared and the famous Phillip were sitting in the front seat. What a ghastly sight. Jared had a heavy duty nosebleed and Phillip looked concerned. Apparently, Phillip elbowed him in the nose "by accident".

First decision -give Jared a tissue. Second decision - move Phillip.

The maternal first grader, Emma, in the white jacket, was moving toward Jared to soothe and comfort him. "Sit down, Emma, the blood will stain your white jacket".

"Maybe this ones a bleeder", I wondered. The tissue I gave to Jared was useless. Blood was smeared all over his face and hands. The students in the front seats were on full alert. In my mirror I saw 20 little faces reflecting horror and fascination . All eyes on Jared. The back of the bus was clueless, thank goodness.

By the time we got to the school, the bleeding had stopped, of course. Jared had so much dried blood on his face and hands, he looked like he had had a severe head injury. I was glad to hand him over to the nurse, who was waiting for us. She proceeded to walk with Jared into the school and quickly returned. "Which one's Phillip?", she demanded.

If I could post a picture of Phillip, you might say, "you go, girl", because I didn't help her. The school would locate him soon enough anyway. He's only six.

2 comments:

jenn said...

These stories are fantastic...you should keep driving the bus for a long time just for these precious experiences...btw i like your new colors.

Donnalee said...

There are definitely a lot of
stories to be told from the
driver's seat of a school bus...very entertaining! BTW, when are you going to change your hairdo?